Monday, March 10, 2008

How I Married A Mexican: Part I

By Request...

It was a hot steamy morning. As the sun peaked over the river I had the overwhelming sensation that I was again distracted from my blog's original intent. Sorry folks. My muddled musings. I just thought a blog with parts deserved at least a novel-like beginning. Where was I?

Oh yea, my story. Well Alex and I met at work, you know, right after I decided I would NEVER date anyone else I worked with. We dated about 2 months before coming out of the closet at the office Christmas party. Next spring, after Alex had come home for a few holidays and family events which were his initiation into the family as well as good testing grounds for me.

In April, I have never been good with dates, I would say like the 13th or so? We had a wonderful day just driving around the chapel hill area's more scenic farm areas. We discovered the Maple View Farm ice cream country store that day. They have the most delicious homemade ice cream. We watched the sunset and then discovered this house we both thought would be perfect for us. We went back to his apartment and he cooked me dinner, huevos ala mexican I am sure. As we were laying on the floor he goes "you want to marry me?" as casually as can be.

Now if you know me you will know how insane this is. This is me, with all my issues and abandonment mess. Me who it took forever to say I love you back. By the way, this was by no means romantic. It was funny how unromantic it was but it had been a romantic day so I cut him a break.

After what seemed like about a millennium without a follow up on his part I said "do I WANT to marry you or WILL I marry you?" For those of you who don't know, Alex is from Mexico so I wanted to make sure there was no miscommunication before I said anything. He just says "Both". My brain is moving so fast it might explode all over his plain white walls and mismatched bachelor's couches from all the friction and smoke. So I look over at him, not looking at me, and say

0 comments: